Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Upside-down Green Bean Casserole...

Today started off with a 1/2 hour wait to get my blood taken, a person who was really good at doing it, and 75 minutes of spinning.  I felt so good after class, I am so glad I went.  Tomorrow there is a Zumba class so my daughter and I are going to go.  I LOVE taking classes at the gym, and when I don't go, I feel antsy like my body is really missing it.

After the gym, a complete breakfast, and a shower, my daughter and I headed to the scrapbook store to use their die cuts.  I feel so accomplished when I get stuff done, no matter how little or insignificant it is.  We went to El Pollo Loco for lunch.  It is my absolute favorite place to eat out, especially since I have been on Weight Watchers.  I had a Chicken Ceasar Salad without dressing and a Diet Coke for 6pp.  I love their Creamy Cilantro Dressing, but I rarely eat it since it has the same pp value as the entire salad...I do eat about 1/2 cup of house salsa in its place...LOVE...

Even after lunch and a 3pp stop at Golden Spoon, I still had 15pp left for dinner.  I planned to make grilled talapia, stuffing, and green bean casserole.  I defrosted the fish, pointed out the stuffing, and revamped the casserole...which would have made the entire casserole only 22pp.

Green Bean Casserole...what's in it...

  • 1 cup of skim milk...2pp
  • 1 can of cream of mushroom soup...7pp
  • 1 small package of french fried onions...12pp
  • 2 cans of green beans...0pp 
  • 1 tablespoon of cornstarch...1pp
How to make it...

  • Heat milk and soup over medium heat and stir until mixed well
  • Add cornstarch and stir to thicken mix
  • Add green beans and stir
  • Pour mixture into casserole dish and top with french fried onions
  • Bake at 375 for 20 minutes
When it was done, it looked delish, however when I was trying to take it out of the oven, the dish slid on the backing sheet and the whole thing flipped upside-down all over the oven door and bottom of the oven.  Since I didn't get to taste it, I am not sure of its flavor...I will have to try again and post results.  

I was so frustrated...after cleaning up my mess, I decided I had had enough of the kitchen and took orders for McDonald's.  We don't eat out very often, and very rarely more than once in one day...today was an exception for sure.  I decided to get creative with my pp since I couldn't see blowing 13 of the 15 on a McRib alone.  I opted for 1/2 McRib (7pp), 1/4 Medium Fries(3pp), 1/2 Cheeseburger(4pp), 1 Chicken Nugget (1pp), and a Diet Coke (0pp)...not the best choices I could have made, but I did enjoy everything I ate, counted everything...and even weighed my fries for accuracy.  Years ago I would have mindlessly eaten who knows how many fries and nuggets before I even got home and then had the entire McRib on top of that.  Making small changes over time add up.  I know I have come a long way, and I need to take a bit more time to step back and think about how much I really have accomplished in the past 9 months.

Tomorrow we are going to my brother's for Thanksgiving dinner.  My niece will be with us and stay the night...she is here from Missouri...I will be careful with my pp and plan my day in the morning to account for all of the madness.  I have already decided that for Thanksgiving dinner I am going to eat mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey, fruit salad, and free veggies...I will take my scale so I don't have to worry about guestimating, something I don't think I will ever be good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment